Thursday, February 16, 2006

Found this site while looking for information on a seemingly abandoned homestead.

The "Degree Confluence Project"
The goal of the project is to visit each of the latitude and longitude integer degree intersections in the world, and to take pictures at each location. The pictures and stories will then be posted on their website.

overview
The project is an organized sampling of the world. There is a confluence within 49 miles (79 km) of you if you're on the surface of Earth. We've discounted confluences in the oceans and some near the poles, but there are still 11,801 to be found.

I checked out the site and there is one in Yengo national park near my home and there is one that I go within a coupe of hundred meters of on my way back to the motel each night from here. But they both have been photographed already.

It would make an interesting sideline to a holiday, especially with kids.


I just checked on the confluence database and there is one very close to where we will be working next (back out Cannington way) that has not been visited. I will see if it is viable to attempt it while out there.

0 Comments: