Friday, August 11, 2006

Australian Vernacular.

Ever heard the term "Dropping like flies?"

It is in common usage in Australia and I thought it referred to flies that had been squirted with DDT or some other "fly" spray.

However I have had cause to think otherwise now. This morning I opened my office (tin shed that fits on a ute) and found that the ceiling was covered in flies.
The funny thing is, the flies were asleep... There is a strong correlation of fly quantities and heat so I think their sleeping was due to the cold temperature overnight.

Anyway I thought they were dead... I touched one and it fell like a stone to the floor where it slowly came to and walked off... I tried it with several more flies and got the same result... That was when I realised they were asleep.

So maybe that is why we have "dropping like flies"

P.S. I collected all the flies from the ceiling (very easy to do when they are asleep LOL) and disposed of them... however now that the day has warmed up I have a new population of them moved in ...

1 Comment:

by Agrophobic said...

test